Thursday, June 26, 2014

In the summertime….seriously?!

Yes, seriously!!
Okay, maybe not all the time in the summer, but when it’s a rainy summer day, it’s a good day for chili!!
Especially when it’s a chili that you make at home that tastes like it came from Wendy’s!!
Kenny discovered this recipe and asked me to make it about a month ago.
I think this is the third time I’ve made it….
it’s really that good!
Which is a good thing, because this recipe makes A LOT!!
Get out your biggest pot!!
Gather your ingredients and get to work!!
Oh yeah, that’s the other great thing….not too much work to make this chili!!
That makes the recipe a keeper in my book….tastes good and easy to make!
First, gather up your ingredients:
Your canned goods:
Lots of tomato-y goodness and beans!!
IMG_4264
Your spices:
It looks like a lot, but honestly, most of them are pretty basic.
IMG_4266
Your veggies:
IMG_4265
Put 2 pounds of hamburger (I prefer lean) in a really big pot and brown….
IMG_4269
Once your meat is browned, drain off the drippings and return it to the pan and add in your canned ingredients….
IMG_4270
Sister, I’m telling you, you need a really big pot for this batch of chili!!
Next add in your chopped veggies….
IMG_4273
Here’s a newsflash….I really detest green peppers AND celery!! However, there is only 1/4
cup of green pepper in this recipe, and I actually don’t mind celery if it’s cooked , but the thought
of just munching on a celery stick or celery and peanut butter….ICK!!
IMG_4274
However, I love onion!! This recipe calls for one large onion….I didn’t think my large onion was large enough
so I used a big onion and a smaller one.
IMG_4275
See why you need such a big pot!!
Now add in the spices. I love that this recipe has only 1/2 tsp of sugar…..I’m guessing you could leave it
out, but per serving that’s barely a sprinkle.
IMG_4276
IMG_4278
I love an action shot!!
IMG_4280
Now stir together all that wonderful goodness and bring it to a boil….
IMG_4284
I should say a “gentle” boil, because the last thing you need is chili splattering onto your clothes!!!
That would be a disaster!!
Once you get it to a gentle boil, turn it down to a simmer and cover it.  Let it simmer for 1 and a half hours,
stirring it about every 20 minutes or so.  While it’s simmering, finish that glass of wine sitting back there
waiting for you.
IMG_4286

So while our chili is making it’s magic in the pot, let me tell you about one of my very favorite cooking tools:
IMG_4272
The Chopper!!! I bought this at a Pampered Chef party YEARS ago, like over 15 years ago and I love it!!
It’s getting a bit rickety, but I’ll keep using it until it just goes kaput. It makes short work of mincing onions, celery,
chocolate etc.
Oh my, the chili is finished!!!
I like mine with crackers and onions!!
IMG_4290
Kenny likes his with the Wendy’s Hot Chili seasoning….of course you can’t buy a bottle of it in the store,
it just comes in these little packets.

The closest thing he has found in a bottle is this:
IMG_4288
Regardless, top it with what you want….cheese, sour cream, pickles, heck, I don’t know what you like…
but go for it!!
Now for the recipe, via  Love Bakes Good Cakes
Chili - Like Wendy's
 
Printable recipe
Yield: 10 servings
2 lb. hamburger
48 oz. can tomato juice
29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
your choice of toppings, optional
In a large soup pot, cook and crumble the beef over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Return meat to the pan and place all remaining ingredients, except toppings, in the soup pot, stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Stir every 15-20 minutes.
 
Enjoy inside or out!! Summer or not!!
IMG_4262





























No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!