Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Summer Reads

Yesterday the heat was downright oppressive.  Luckily, I have an indoor job in the a/c…

thank heavens for that!!

I’ve finished reading “Wild”…..great book, really enjoyed being able to lose track of time

while I read it.

My favorite quote from the book,

“Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren’t a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
Cheryl Strayed, Wild (Oprah's Book Club 2.0 Digital Edition): From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

I’ve started on another book I found at the library…..

“The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation”

This book is laugh out loud funny!! If you’d like to read an excerpt from the book, click HERE

If not, here’s a small snippet….I can SO relate!!

I don’t have a hard time staying at the same size, but in my head I feel like I’m always having to

plan ahead about what I eat. I’m definitely the girl who cuts off a small piece of cake, but wants a

big piece!! I often eat half of my portions when I go out to eat and take the rest home to have for lunch

the next day, but I could easily inhale the entire plate,

as well as having bread with butter from the bread basket before the meal…..sad but true!

By now I was feeling the shame but also defiance. Like here, I’m carrying the banner for all of you who cut off a little piece wanting a big one,

who spend a good third of your waking hours feeling bad about your desires, who infect those with whom you work and live with your judgments

and pronouncements, you on the program who tally points all day long, every day, let’s see, 7 for breakfast, I’m going to need only 3 or 4 for lunch,

what the hell can I have for so little, oh, I know, broth and a salad with very little dressing. And broth is good! Yes! So chickeny!

That’s what we tell ourselves, we who cannot eat air without gaining, we who eat the asparagus longing for the potatoes au gratin,

for the fettuccine Alfredo, for the pecan pie. And if you’re one of those who doesn’t, stop right here, you are not invited to the rest of this story.

 

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!